Sunday, August 18, 2013

Design Aesthetic

 After weeks of admiring illuminated calligraphy, I'm stepping back to see
how to adapt the techniques to my own painting and aesthetics.

Most illuminations I've admired are classy and classical in design,
my taste is a little more...

Bold...

 ...candy-oriented...

...or just plain child-like (or is it childish?).

So I still need to figure out how to blend the immaculate
detailing and precision of classical calligraphy with bold and
colorful modern illustration while keeping the juxtaposition of
"professional" and "whimsical" from looking goofy.  No problem.

Since the topics I'm illuminating will be science-related, I'm most worried
about straying to a too-traditional, too-bland design, which would undermine
my attempts to make science accessible to a broader range of people.
So this week, I'm breaking out the books that highlight playful design.

No comments:

Post a Comment