Tuesday, August 20, 2013

My Bookhouse

Like a lot of other kids growing up in the 1960s (and 40s and 50s),
I was raised on the "My Bookhouse" series of childrens books.
My Mom read to me from them, the first volume was a favorite.

Along with the Bookhouse volumes, there were supplementary books,
like the three My Travelship books: Holland, France, and Japan.

The art style was similar throughout the books:
Art Deco executed in pen and watercolors.

Clean, colorful, and delightful.

These books impacted my art style that developed 30+ years later,
and also left a lingering affection for poems and short stories.

Even the musical passages are familiar,
I used to try them with my flutophone.

This may be my favorite of all of the books in the series.

My first and lasting introduction to vignettes.

No comments:

Post a Comment